Friday, January 18, 2008

The Art of Giving

I've been dwelling on this issue of asking for money as a volunteer experience for a few days now and have not come up with anything revolutionary, but: I think that when you donate time to help folks without asking for monetary compensation, you are, by definition, volunteering. So when you 'ask for money' to donate, you are volunteering time.

But let's look at this in terms of the larger social implications: if we say that satisfying our need/desire to volunteer is satisfied by giving money, then we justify the 'writing a check once a month' donation that makes it impersynal. Are there reasons why our society still needs so much volunteer-type work? Maybe this monetary giving has yet to pay off? I think we should look at the idea of altruism, which has some interesting things to say about monetary giving and ask if these concepts are reflected when we 'write the check.'

No comments: