I'm a big fan on honesty. I'm also a big fan of community. I feel like if we're all going to be in class together, heck, even existing on the same planet, we should begin by being blunt, honest, and real about some things. You all know my name. You know that I like pancakes. You know I want to change the world (to be more honest, you probably don't remember any of these things because we were all worrying about first impressions and putting our best face on. If you didn't remember these things, now you know).
For the first post, we were instructed to with few instructions. I think it would be beneficial to explain some things about our lives as they exist now. I mean, let's save some time getting through the awkward 'getting to know one another' stage and be authentic. In my life right now...
1. I'm seriously contemplating the plan for the rest of my life. I've always assumed this to be a futile move on my part, because everytime I seem to get things straight in my head, your higher power of choice (for my purposes, I'll call her God) screws them up. I'm head over heels in love with Africa, and have unexplainably been so for years. I'm going this summer (Uganda is what they're telling me) and because I am graduating in three semesters, am thinking about getting a pilots license. I could fly rich safari goers all over the place a few months a year and save enough to sustain on an NGOs budget for the rest of the time. I think I'm in love with this plan.
2. Chatham is rocking my world. I'm a transfer, and came here with a purpose, and looked forward to coming back from break. I like what Chatham allows me to do - to become - but my family is pretty large and I am the first to leave, making it difficult to explain my reasons for branching beyond our Kansas town. I may have just said goodbye to my grandma for the last time (this is what folks tell me) and swallowing that is going to take some time.
3. I'm reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X right now. While I'm a large fan of nonfiction, I don't remember ever reading an autobiography before, and it is simply unlike anything I've ever read. I struggle every morning with being white, with having power I did not earn nor deserve, with cashing in on the mistreatment of others with skin of a different color. Malcolm is really putting these things into perspective. If you have yet to read it, do so. If you have, let's talk. I'm intrigued and only a little over halfway done.
Like I said before, I'm a big fan on honesty, and welcome more than anything in the world criticism, comments, and input on these blogs. While I doubt individuals beyond class will ever read such things, I think it's a great way to engage a discussion about potentially interesting topics. Viva la Discussion!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I know how you feel about your grandma, cause that is how I felt when my mom started to get sicker last year. And then I got the call to come home right away because she had taken a bad turn. That was a Saturday morning. I was home by Saturday afternoon. And then she died on Sunday, while I was in the hospital. It's tough to think about any time being the "last" time, but then it happens. Sometimes the biggest hardships in our lives teach us the greatest lessons.
jenn, you are so awesome and you teach me so much about myself. i feel the need to put a little honesty and a few disclaimers on my blog now. i think the idea of bringing that stuff forth will get a lot of awkwardness out of the way.
Post a Comment