Friday, February 29, 2008

Stroking Egos

I find that natural leaders have a problem conceding power or authority to a designated leader in a group, disrupting the group dynamic. This can be tragic. My leadership experiences incorporate those times when I wore the “Leader Badge” and those when I was encouraged to follow. The latter requires an acquired sense of balancing.

There are two different types of potentially awkward situations that can result from a leader trying to follow: those times when the designated leader is incapable of doing the job and those times when they are. I have generally found success in following those who are competent and capable of leading the group, but my natural tendency to take over when something is failing can create friction with the designated inept leader.

Providing leadership in these positions is always dependent on the persynality of the designated leader. I tend to ‘buddy-up’ to the leader, becoming their friend and confidant who is able to push tips or suggestions under the theoretical door. This way, I don’t feel like I am attacking their capabilities in any way but still overriding their bad decisions. I may even develop a new friendship in the process. My approach is founded in the inherent understanding that people need to have their egos stroked a little before being criticized in any way – especially those given a position of power.

2 comments:

Joanna Nicoletti said...

Jenn--

I think you found the key to dealing with a leader who is not doing the best job. But, how do you handel a leader who is? Do you feel threatened by that person or do you watch and learn?

Jenn said...

Watch and Learn!! I say this more times than I will ever be able to count, but the most profound things I have ever learned have been from other people - if I have the opportunity to watch a great leader in action, I'll follow them around like a lost puppy and soak up all of their juicy tips.