Examining the different policy intentions of presidential candidates seems counterproductive in trying to predict what higher education would look like under their leadership. It is such a rare occasion when a president can come into office and begin passing legislation that they communicated on the campaign trail. Instead, we should examine the values reflected in their intended policies.
Of the three remaining contenders, Clinton has the most extensive experience working for education reform. During her time as First Lady, she indicated her commitment to education through establishing programs like Early Head Start and providing incentives to teachers working in high-needs areas. During her time as Senator, Clinton has been adament about pushing education legislation which increases the Pell Grant and improves access for students with disabilities.
Though Obama has spent less time passing legislation, his voting record indicates he would adamently work to afford access to education for more Americans. He recently voted for legislation to grant 'illegal aliens' permanent status if they met certain critiera, one of which is that they were under 16 when they first entered the US. He also voted to increase the maximum Pell Grant (for affordable education) and appears to desire easy access through eliminating the FASFA.
Both have similar policies; both have similar voting records. It is impossible for me to choose one or the other based on higher education intentions. Obama values things like bipartisan cooperation, transparency in politics, and supporting the lower class. One of the only differences between the two appears to be their involvement in politics - Clinton has led a life extensively involved in the game, moving from one venue to the next. Obama took time off of the legal track to organize poor communities in Chicago - a red flag for his commitment to people, and thus higher education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love what you said about examining values rather than looking at campaigning promises. This is good information, I didn't know all this stuff. Of the blogs I've read so far it seems everyone is shying away from saying one or the other, which I think is a good thing. Politics can get very personal.
I completely agree with you on the values part of your discussion! I was just saying that in someone else's comment. The candidates might promise all of these things, but how do we know that when they achieve the presidential status that they won't change the bill a little bit adding a secret loophole that will get them out of the promise? I also agree with you about not being able to make a stable decision just based on higher education, because so many other things come into account, but i think in the end if you make a good educated decision it will be worth it.
Do you think you will vote for someone with more experience and backing to prove they will follow through on promises? or someone with some experience and new ideas? like you said, it's about the values and what we've seen happen, not just what people say will happen.
I totally agree with everything you have said. It has really upset me to read blogs that people don't want to vote. I think it is so important to look at each candidate. It is true, what you say about people in office being about to truly begin passing bills. I do think the system is flawed in that it is so difficult for bills that are truly going to help the public take so long to get passed. Voting is key in beginning to make changes...
Post a Comment