Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jenn vs. SLPI

There is always an internal struggle I fight when completing surveys like the SLPI – they are rarely indicative of how I perceive myself. In so many different situations and under different circumstances, I am such a drastically different individual and feel that I embody what is ‘grey’ about the world , never black of white.

I ranked highest in Inspire a Shared Vision on the SLPI, and usually feel this is my worst attribute. When I am a leader, I usually have a concrete picture of how I think things should get done, and am often very excited about getting it done that I fail to communicate the vision. Although the SLPI did not recognize this as a problem area in my leadership style, I have recognized this persynal flaw and now am intentional about sitting down before a big project and discussing the collective vision – this is essential in a productive group.

The SLPI noticed my inability to Encourage the Heart as a leader. In some respects, I feel this is completely accurate – when given a task and an objective, I have the tendency to disregard ‘feelings’ or ‘emotions,’ especially if they are unrelated to the given goals. There are definitely times, however, when I notice the strain on a group because of an emotional problem with a member, and really enjoy talking those things out –there are many times when I feel like the middle ground of conflict because both parties find comfort in explaining their problems. In the former situation, I really have become more in tune with the needs of the humyns (because sometimes I forget that we’re not robots designed for a specific task) in my group and make an effort to ask questions about their lives outside of the project, ensuring that we are engaging in something more than what is in front of us – I want to be involved the lives of people, not projects.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because I have just gotten to know you recently, I had to giggle a little at this post. For the longest while, everytime I saw you- you were knee deep in your school work. I could tell immediately from observation that you were a really dedicated and hard-worker, and that's exactly what you wrote. We are humans, not robots designed to only accomplish academic workloads. I think so often, esp here at Chatham, students forget that the college experience is about living it- not about the GPA.
I'm glad that you took the time to think about what your results meant and how you could change them for the better.
I think you're awesome no matter what.

sbuck said...

Sometimes I think we forget our own strengths. Sometimes it takes others to bring to light what strengths we truely have.

Myster said...

Jenn,

i love that you say people aren't robots built for a specific task, because with your work ethic it is very hard to see you expecting anything less. i like that you are working to better yourself with that idea and i have noticed a difference especially since we are working together for a group project. Sometimes you can run off on really high ideas, but you just have to be reminded about the robot concept and then all is good. I think you are an amazing leader and very good at sitting down and thinking about the way you act and why you do, so taht you can alter it for the better. I think I notice that attribute in you because I also have it in myself. You are an amazing leader Jenn, keep it up.